What's New, Or Improved, In 2017
2017 has seen some huge investment in the snow scene. Mt Ruapehu continues to invest, heavily, which while is great news for the North Island snow lovers. Down south, Cardrona has made a major commitment, with a new “Chondola”, New Zealands first, featuring 8-person gondola cabins & 6-seater chairs.
Also consistently around the country is the expansion or upgrade of snow making systems, at pretty much all areas. This of course is great news, helping fill in the gaps mother nature occasionally leaves. It’s fantastic to see this investment and it signals confidence in New Zealand remaining a strong winter destination.
Following is just a brief recap of what has changed, there are of course so many things happening on the areas over the summer they can’t all be listed, but we thought these were some highlights.
Mt Ruapehu: Turoa and Whakapapa
- $11 million of investment over the summer
- Happy Valley relaunched as a “snow park”
- Three brand new surface lifts for Happy Valley
- New Quad chairlift replacing the Waterfall T-Bar
- $4 million for new snow making at Happy Valley, Whakapapa and Turoa; including the new snow factory
- Addition of 21 hectares of skiable terrain with the opening of the South West face
- More fully automatic snowmaking guns on the upper mountain
- New state-of-the-art Pisten Bully winch groomer
- $15 million of investment over the summer
- Replacement of the McDougall’s chair with the McDougall’s Express Chondola, a new “combined” express lift of 8-person gondola cabins & 6-seater chairs.
- New & improved Ski Kindy
- Valley View carpark expanded
- New snowmaking system for 2017
- Wednesday night skiing (in July only) has been added
- Doubling the snowmaking capacity directly outside the base building
- New kids fun zone with bank turns and tunnels at Meadows Express
- Skiable terrain has increased following demolition of the original base building
- Double conveyor lifts in the learners’ area are now fully enclosed with New Zealand’s first-ever double conveyor gallery
- 5.5km of road has had its second and final coat of chip seal sealing three quarters of the road
- Replacement of several groomers and a number of snow making guns
Enjoy winter 2017!